Skip to content

Unit History

14th Transportation Battalion

World War II

On 9 April 1943, the 517th Port Battalion, Transportation Corps was constituted in the US Army and activated at Shirehampton, England on 4 June 1943. On 24 May 1944, its lettered companies, A, B, C, and D, were reorganized and redesignated as the 797th, 798th, 799th, and 800th Port Companies, respectively. From then on the companies followed separate lineages, although they remained with the 517th throughout the war.

The 6th Engineer Special Brigade consisted primarily of three Engineer Combat Battalions and was reinforced by Quartermaster, Medical, Transportation, Signal, Chemical, Naval and MPs to form four beach groups. Each beach group had the mission to organize and operate all shore installations necessary for the supply and landing of the 16th and 116th Regimental Combat Teams of the 1st and 29th Infantry Divisions, respectively; and provide local security and the evacuation of casualties. During the planning of the Normandy landing, it was realized that the 5th and 6th Engineer Special Brigades (ESB) could not conduct all the missions assigned them at Omaha Beach. As a consequence, the 11th Port was attached to the Provisional Engineer Special Brigade Group. It had four port battalions, five amphibious truck companies, three Quartermaster service companies, one Ordinance MAM Company, and one utility detachment. The 517th Port Battalion was one of the port battalions attached to the 6th ESB upon landing at Omaha Beach.1

The Allies took control of the port of Antwerp, Belgium on 6 September 1944, but were not able to break the German blockade of it until 30 October. The 13th Port arrived at LeHarve, France on 26 October and picked up control of the 517th Port Battalion. The 5th and 13th Port Headquarters were then sent to Antwerp, and the 517th moved to Antwerp on 29 November 1944 where it worked at Tampico Flats. By December 1944, the 517th Port Battalion, commanded by LTC Harold E. Bonar, provided command and control over the following companies:2

  • 284th Port Company commanded by CPT Robert Ward
  • 285th Port Company commanded by CPT Harold Steeleman
  • 797th Port Company commanded by CPT James J. Powell
  • 798th Port Company commanded by 1LT Charles W. Ker
  • 799th Port Company commanded by 1LT Henry O. McGonigal
  • 800th Port Company commanded by CPT William J. Ryan

The port of Antwerp shortened the supply line to the US First and Third Armies. However, it was within range of German V-1 rockets so no ammunition was brought through the port.

On 25 June 1946, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 517th Port Battalion was inactivated at Antwerp, Belgium.

On 29 September 1948, the 517th Port Battalion was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 14th Transportation Port Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army. It was activated at Camp Stoneman, California on 13 October 1948

Korean War

On 25 June 1950, North Korean tanks rolled across the 38th Parallel and invaded the Republic of Korea. The 24th Infantry Division led the first units of the US Eighth Army into Korea on 30 June. The 14th Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, Headquarters and Service Company, 14th Transportation Port Battalion on 24 July 1950. After a series of setbacks, they bought time for the rest of Eighth Army to stabilize the Pusan Perimeter. On 15 September, X Corps landed at Inchon with the 1st Marine and 7th Infantry Divisions and the North Korean Army began to withdraw. On 16 September, the 14th Terminal Battalion arrived from Pusan, Korea with X Corps to repair Inchon port facilities. On 16 October, the battalion established provisional medium port at Inchon for cargo operations, troop movement, and harbor craft use.

On 29 November, the Chinese Communist Army attacked across the Korean border. They infiltrated past US forces forcing them to fall back. On 6 December, the 14th Port Battalion began to support the evacuation of Inchon and evacuated 5 January 1951. On 8 January the battalion arrived at Pusan. There personnel were placed on special duty with 7th TMP. The 14th Battalion located on Yong-do, worked Pusan Port and harbor craft operations began on 22 May. It was relieved on 1 July and detailed to command Kunsan and Masan Port Command Areas. On 25 July, it ran the Masan des Outport No. 3 of 7 TMP, 14th Battalion consolidated at Kunsan until the end of the war under the 2nd Logistical Command. In May 1954, the battalion was transferred to the command of the 21st Transportation Command B. The battalion was inactivated in Japan on 25 June 1955.

Terminal Battalion

On 15 November 1955, the 1st Transportation Battalion (Terminal) (Provisional) was activated at Fort Story, Virginia, with the following units attached to it:

  • 8th Student Company, 9225-4 TUTC3
  • 155th Transportation Company (Terminal Service) from the 10th Battalion.4
  • 461st Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 607th Transportation Company (Transportation Amphibious Truck) from the 10th Battalion then inactivated on 23 December 1955.
  • 554th Transportation Platoon (Heavy Boat) (BARC)

LTC James F. Wolaver assumed command of the battalion when it was activated in 1955. The 558th Transportation Company (Heavy Boat) (BARC Carrier) was attached to the 1st Battalion on 2 January 1956 and the 839th Transportation Company (Terminal Service) was attached to the 1st Battalion on 15 February 1956.

The 1st Transportation Battalion (Provisional) was reflagged as the 14th Transportation Battalion (Terminal) at Fort Story, Virginia, on 25 May 1956. It inherited the following units:

  • 8th Student Company, 9225-4 TUTC
  • 155th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 461st Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 558th Transportation Company (Heavy Boat) (BARC Carrier)
  • 839th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 554th Transportation Platoon (Heavy Boat) (BARC)

The 14th Battalion was one of three Transportation Corps battalions assigned to Fort Story. The other two were the 10th and 376th Transportation Battalions. All three belonged to the 5th Transportation Command B.

The Soviet Union tested their first nuclear device in 1949 which heightened the fear of a war. The shortest distance for Soviet long range bombers to attack the United States with nuclear bombs was across the Arctic Circle. The US Air Force established a line of Distant Early Warning (DEW) stations from Thule, Greenland to the tip of Alaska in 1952. In spring of 1951, landing craft were attached to the 373rd Transportation Major Port (TMP) to Thule, Greenland as part of Operation BLUEJAY. In February 1952, the 373rd TMP conducted Operation Support of North Atlantic Construction (SUNAC) 52. LCMs and LCUs discharged cargo and equipment for the construction of the radar stations along the DEW Line. LCMs and equipment were prepositioned in Greenland. every year until 1963, different companies deployed in the summer, when the ice melted in the harbor, to discharge supplies for the Air Force in annual SUNEC LOTS operations.

Seven officers and 116 enlisted men of the 155th Terminal Service Company departed Fort Story for SUNEC 56 on 23 May 1956 and arrived on 1 June. It returned on 20 November. Meanwhile, the 554th BARC Platoon supplied BARCs to Bolling Air Force Base and Norfolk Naval Air Station on Armed Forces Day. The platoon also provided BARCs to Fort Eustis for Combat Support Problem 21. The platoon also sent a contingent up to SUNEC. The 558th trained in the operation and maintenance of landing craft retriever 1-X in conjunction with the Transportation Research and Development Command at Fort Eustis. The 1-X with 15 operating personnel were transferred to the 606th Transportation Company (Heavy Boat).

The 14th Battalion gave up the 155th Terminal Service Company to the 10th Battalion on 1 February 1957. The 347th, 605th, 611th, and 612th Transportation Amphibious Truck Companies were relieved from the 376th Transportation Battalion, after its inactivation, and attached to the 14th Transportation Battalion on 25 March 1957. These organizational changes were made as a pre-planning phase for the training of SUNEC and Project 572.

The 14th Battalion then had the following units after March 1957:

  • 347th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 461st Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 558th Transportation Company (Heavy Boat) (BARC Carrier)
  • 605th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 611th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 612th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 839th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 554th Transportation Platoon (Heavy Boat) (BARC)

In 1957, the 612th Amphibious Truck Company, acting on vocal orders from Fort Eustis, began training of Landing Vehicle Tracked (LVT) under the Operations Order for Project 572. The company completed “Puddle Jump” training in September, which demonstrated assault river crossings at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. The 554th BARC Platoon departed in July for Frobisher Bay to support the 285th Terminal Company from Fort Eustis during SUNEC 57 operations. While the units of the 10th Battalion participated in SUNEC 57, the 14th Battalion assumed the responsibility for US Army Reserve training at Fort Story by supplying DUKWs, cranes, forklifts, weapons, radios and other items of equipment as well as personnel. The first nine-unit USAR contingent arrived on 26 May. The second contingent, one staging unit and three terminal service companies, arrive on 9 June. The third increment arrived on 23 June. From 22 to 26 July, the battalion also trained 360 ROTC cadets. The 14th Battalion trained a total of 1,100 Reservists and cadets.

LTC John C. Alford assumed command of the 14th Battalion from LTC Joseph E. Bostick in 1957. In October, the 870th Terminal Service Company was attached to the 14th Battalion from the 10th Battalion. The 5th Transportation Command B was inactivated on 9 December 1957 and the two battalions were reorganized and balanced under the 4th Transportation Command C. The 588th Heavy Boat, 605th and 612th Amphibious Truck Companies were inactivated in December. The 605th Amphibious Truck Company’s equipment was given to the 461st Amphibious Truck Company and the 544th BARC picked up the equipment of the 558th Heavy Boat. The 854th Transportation Company was attached to the 14th Battalion on 7 January 1958 and the 566th Transportation Company was also attached to the 14th Battalion on 14 January.

The 14th Battalion then had the following units after January 1958:

  • 347th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 461st Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 566th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 611th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 839th Transportation Company (Terminal Service
  • 854th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 870th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 554th Transportation Platoon (Heavy Boat) (BARC)

On 17 February 1958, the 854th Terminal Service began training with the 155th, 417th and 565th Terminal Service Companies for LOTS operations in northern regions. The 854th flew out of McGuire Air Force Base for Harmon Air Force Base, Newfoundland, on 1 April. It returned in July. The 554th also deployed to SUNEC 58. The last company, 417th, departed on 21 July.

In the third quarter of 1958, the 870th Terminal Service Company was relieved from the 14th Battalion and attached to the 10th Battalion. The 522nd BARC Platoon was organized on 29 September and attached to the 14th Battalion on 21 November as the second BARC platoon activated. To create balance, the 347th Amphibious Truck Company was relieved from the 14th Battalion and attached to the 10th Battalion. The 155th Terminal Service Company was again attached to the 14th Battalion on 1 November 1958.

The 14th Battalion then had the following units after the November 1958 reorganization:

  • 155th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 461st Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 566th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 611th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 839th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 854th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 522nd Transportation Platoon (Heavy Boat) (BARC)
  • 554th Transportation Platoon (Heavy Boat) (BARC)

The 10th and 14th Battalions became a STRAC unit in 1958. This required it to be capable of loading, processing and moving out within prescribed time limits. Training placed greater emphasis on basic combat subjects.

On 13 June 1959, MAJ James A. Stuart, Jr. assumed command of the 14th Battalion from LTC Alford. A few months later, LTC Jerome K. Hoestetler assumed command of the battalion from Stuart.

The advance party of the 155th Terminal Service Company departed from McGuire Air Force Base and flew up to Goose Bay, Labrador, to prepare the port and billets for the arrival of troops in support of SUNEC 59. The main body of the 155th and 566th Transportation Companies sailed up on the USNS Lindenwald from Hampton Roads Army Terminal on 17 June. They arrived at Goose Bay on 23 June and started discharging the USNS Bondia. Their mission was to operate the Water Port at Goose Bay to supply the US Air Force with enough provisions to last them until the ice thawed the next summer. They departed Goose Bay on 5 November and landed at Hampton Roads on 10 November. The 554th BARC Platoon deployed with the 417th Terminal Service Company in July to DEW PINE and GAP PINE. Meanwhile, the 461st TAT, 854th Terminal Service and 522nd BARC supported the 10th Battalion USAR and ROTC summer training. The companies trained a total of 2,205 officers and enlisted men.

As part of the Intensified Training Program for STRAC units in summer of 1959, all Fort Story units participated in Air Transportability Exercises conducted at Langley Field, Virginia. The units convoyed at different times to Langley where the men and equipment were loaded unto C-124 Troop Transports and air lifted.

The 155th and 566th Terminal Service Companies deployed to Goose Bay on 17 June 1959 and returned in the fall. The 522nd BARC Platoon left for a permanent change of station in France on 12 September 1959. The 14th Battalion also received responsibility for the Landing Craft Retrievers from the Transportation Office that fall.

The 155th participated in a STRAC Mobility Alert on 2 February 1960. High priority STRAC units were issued Container Expresses (CONEX) to prepare their equipment for shipping. The companies not participating in SUNEC became backup companies for the deploying units. These back-up companies were brought up t full strength and trained to fulfill STRAC requirements. The 14th Battalion had responsibility for USAR and ROTC training during the summer of 1960. The 14th Battalion with support from companies of other battalions trained a total of 2,800 officers and enlisted men. One BARC and crew participated with the 344th Amphibious Truck Company in Exercise TARHEEL during April.

The 155th Terminal Service Company, commanded by CPT George M. Mudd, departed Fort Story on 8 April 1960 to participate in Pre-SUNEC 60 Training, which began on 11 April at Fort Eustis. The company returned on 4 May. The advance party of 32 soldiers of the 155th Terminal Service Company, under the command of 2LT William R. Menner, flew out of Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, with the 566th Terminal Service Company for Thule, Greenland, on 10 June. The main body of the 155th and 566th Terminal Service Companies departed on 28 June. On 2 October, one officer and 68 enlisted men of the 155th Terminal Service Company boarded the USNS Point Barrow and arrived at Hampton Roads Army Terminal on 11 October. One officer and 65 enlisted men on the 155th Terminal Service Company flew out of Thule on 5 October and arrived on 6 October.

The 461st Amphibious Truck, 854th Terminal Service Companies and the 554th BARC Platoon of the 14th Battalion participated in Joint Army-Marine Corps Landing Exercise (JAMLEX) held at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina from 25 October to 7 November 1960. The 6th Transportation Battalion, form Fort Eustis, had control of the 329th Heavy Boat Company, 1097th and 1098th Medium Boat Companies, 461st Amphibious Truck Company, 854th Terminal Service Company and the 554th BARC Platoon, 151st Light Truck and 598th Medium Truck Companies, 65th Light Helicopter Company and the 18th Aviation Maintenance Detachment. The operation tested the “through the beach” concept to support the 1,500 man Marine landing team at Camp Lejuene, North Carolina. The operation was conducted in four phases with the DUKWs and landing craft discharging troops, tanks, artillery and supplies on the beach to establish a foothold. The BARCs established a ferry across the inland waterway. The second phase concentrated on the logistical support of combat forces even utilizing helicopters for emergency resupply and medical evacuation. During the second phase the amphibians and landing craft moved troops and supplies across the New River. During phase four helicopters lifted a battalion of Marines to Camp Davis and Bogue Field for further maneuvers.

That summer, LTC Ernest K. Bremer assumed command of the battalion from MAJ Warren J. Higgins. The 247th Terminal Service Company was relieved form the 10th Battalion and attached to the 14th Battalion on 21 November 1960.

The 14th Battalion then had the following units after the November 1960 reorganization:

  • 155th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 247th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 461st Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 566th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 611th Transportation Company (Amphibious Truck)
  • 839th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 854th Transportation Company (Terminal Service)
  • 554th Transportation Platoon (Heavy Boat) (BARC)

The 14th Battalion participated with the 10th Battalion and 4th Transportation Terminal Command C in Exercise CO-OP II at Fort Story on 17 and 18 March 1961. The 247th Terminal Service and the 854th Terminal Service Companies departed for Goose Bay, Labrador, on 20 May and 11 June for SUNEC 61. Meanwhile, the 14th Battalion had responsibility for USAR training that summer. It organized a reserve component headquarters to administer and provide equipment support to 37 Reserve units on ANACDUTRA. The battalion trained a total of 1881 officers and enlisted men. The battalion also formed a BARC platoon of one warrant officer and 40 enlisted men for Fort Ord, California.

East-West tensions increased from Soviet Primier Kruschev’s speech in 1958. President John F. Kennedy visited Berlin in the summer of 1961 to give his “Ich bin ein Berliner,” speech assuring the United States continued support. On 12 August 1961, the East German soldiers began building a concrete wall to prevent the escape of its citizens to the West. The Union of Soviet Socialist Republic also blocked the lines of communication into West Berlin. President John F. Kennedy placed the Armed Forces on alert and deployed two additional divisions to Germany. Until the crisis abated, the STRAC units at Fort Story went on frequent alert for deployment.

MAJ James E. Coleman assumed command of the 14th Battalion on 4 October 1961 when LTC Bremer assumed command of the composite battalion made up of the 14th Battalion Headquarters Detachment, 155th Terminal Service, 329th Heavy Boat, 565th Terminal Service, 1097th and 1099th Medium Boat Companies. This composite battalion participated in the landing exercise of the 2nd Infantry Brigade at Little Creek, Virginia, from 6 to 11 October. The battalion discharged 442 vehicles in stream and over the shore in 34 hours. It provided the opportunity to train with another STRAC unit. After the exercise, LTC Bremer became the Assistant G-3. The rest of the battalion conducted a special six-week Intensified Training program from 18 September to 27 October to maintain a high state of operational readiness.

From 17 April to 17 May 1962, two BARCs from the 554th BARC Platoon moved heavy and outsized equipment from Curtis Bay, Maryland, to Fort Miles in support of the 150th Armored Cavalry Regiment during WET HORSE II. The main body of the 854th Terminal Service Company sailed for Sondrestrom, Greenland, during SUNEC 62 on 27 June. During the port season, 3 July to 13 September, they discharged 14,023 metric tons of cargo and back loaded 8,000 metric tons. The port conditions did not permit the ships from anchoring closer than one mile offshore. The 14th Battalion again supervised the training of 1,373 USAR officers and enlisted soldiers and 262 ROTC cadets during the summer. Units of both the 10th and 14th Battalion completed a 12 week Operation Readiness Program on 22 September, which interestingly integrated 79 hours of counter-insurgency training.

The 566th Terminal Service Company was assigned to the 4th Logistic Command B for participation in the XVIII Airborne Corps Exercise SWIFT STRIKE II from June through August. The company staged at Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina, in support of the Army Staging Area Command.

During the Cuban Missile Crisis in October through December 1962, the 155th Transportation Company moved to McCoy Air Force Base, Florida, to support the buildup of forces in preparation for the amphibious landings. The Crisis was abated and the forced returned home.

On 28 March 1963, the 14th Battalion was inactivated at Fort Story, Virginia. The 247th, 566th and 854th Terminal Service Companies were also inactivated on 28 March. The 155th Terminal Service Company and 461st Amphibious Truck Companies were attached to the 10th Transportation Battalion. The US Transportation Corps had just recently deployed helicopter companies to the Republic of Vietnam. Air Assault was about to become the big experiment in the Army. Evidently, the Transportation Corps had inactivated the 14th Terminal Battalion to make room for Aviation units.

Aviation Maintenance Battalion

It was redesignated as Headquarters and Depot Supply Company, 14th Aircraft Depot Battalion on 29 July 1963 and activated at Atlanta Army Depot, Georgia, on 11 August 1963. Based upon the recommendations by LTG Hamilton H. Howze Board, the Army was experimenting with the concept of utilizing the helicopters in the traditional cavalry role of mounted combat. In February 1963, Continental Army Command had also reorganized the 11th Airborne Division at Fort Benning, Georgia, into the 11th Air Assault Division (Test). The 14th Aircraft Depot Battalion provided depot level maintenance for this division. From October through November 1964, the 11th Air Assault Division validated the use of helicopters in the combat role during Exercise AIR ASSAULT II. The 14th Aircraft Depot Battalion provided critical maintenance support to keep the helicopters flying. The success of this field test resulted in the formation of the first airmobile division. The 11th Air Assault was redesignated the 1st Cavalry Division in June 1965 and sent to Vietnam in September. The 14th Aircraft Depot Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 14th Transportation Battalion (Aircraft Maintenance and Support) (General Support) on 25 June 1965.


In 1962, communist insurgents launched a guerrilla war to usurp the unification elections in the Republic of South Vietnam. The United States then sent advisors and helicopter companies to South Vietnam to stabilize the government. In 1965, it became clear that South Vietnam would fall without greater assistance from the United States. Military Assistance Command, Vietnam, (MACV) called for an increase in the number of US troops to serve in the combat role against the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army. This war would validate the role of helicopter aviation.

When the buildup commenced in 1965, the US Army Support Command Vietnam only had one aircraft maintenance and supply battalion to provide backup direct and general support for all Army aircraft in-country. The 765th Transportation Battalion at Vung Tau consisted of three direct support companies located at Vung Tau, Saigon, and Nha Trang and one general support company.

Within days of the reorganization, the 14th Transportation Battalion (Aircraft Maintenance and Supply) received a warning order for possible overseas deployment to Vietnam. The main body of the 14th Transportation Battalion left on 28 August 1965 and arrived at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam on 22 September about the same time as the 1st Cavalry Division. It then moved to Nha Trang and reported under the 34th General Support Group. The 14th Transportation Battalion was the third aviation maintenance battalion in Vietnam, the 765th Transportation Battalion having arrived in 1964 and the 15th arrived a few days before the 14th. The 15th provided direct support to the 1st Cavalry Division. The 14th Battalion provided command, control, staff supervision and planning for subordinate transportation aircraft maintenance and supply companies. The 14th provided direct, general support, avionics, armament maintenance, supply support and back-up aircraft to all aviation units in I and II Corps Tactical Zones while the 765th provide the same support for III and IV Corps Tactical Zones.5

The 339th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) had arrived in Saigon aboard the USS Core (ACV-13) on 7 February 1962. The company later moved north to Nha Trang. It was initially assigned to the 45th Transportation Battalion and then to the 52nd Aviation Battalion (Provisional) in April 1964. It was then attached to the 765th Transportation Battalion (AM&S) before being attached to the 14th Aviation Battalion in late October 1964. It was commanded by CPT Robert E. Allwine, Jr. In 1966, the company was attached to the 34th General Support Group (AM&S). 6

The 79th Transportation Company (ADS) was originally activated on 25 March 1963 by verbal order from the commanding general at Fort Hood, Texas. On 5 July, the first soldier, SFC George H. Ecker, arrived as the first member of the company. As more Soldiers arrived, 1LT Nathan Edmondson assumed command of the company. It s first mission was to support an aircraft serviceability experiment during the period 10 March through 11 July 1964. The quality of the work performed by the personnel of the company on this first mission was evidenced by a letter of appreciation from the commanding general of the project. Other missions during that year included support in Operation Desert Strike and extensive support of the Air Assault II maneuver.7

On 25 March 1965, the company was placed on alert for possible deployment overseas. All authorized equipment not on hand was requisitioned and the unit was brought up to full strength for deployment. On 15 July, the company equipment was shipped from Fort Hood by rail to the port of Beaumont, Texas. The company, then commanded by MAJ Allison L. Nicholson, departed by rail for Oakland Army Terminal on 4 August and arrived on 6 August. The next day the men sailed for Vietnam aboard the USNS General B. M. Blatchford and arrived at Qui Nhon 20 days later on 27 August. The 92nd Aviation Company sponsored the 79th and arranged for its billeting in tents on Qui Nhon Army Airfield. The equipment of the 79th had arrived at Qui Nhon on 26 August and in October the Airfield commander assigned the company work space and hangers.8

The 79th provided maintenance and technical supply support to 279 aircraft in the northeastern section of the Military Region 2. With an area of operation extending from the southern border of Military Region 1 to An Khe, this unit had the most diversified supply mission within the 14th Battalion. It stocked approximately 11,000 Federal Stock Number items. The 79th was responsible for retrograding and in-processing the majority of aircraft received by the 14th Battalion It is also the Direct Support Unit (DSU) for the Theater Aircraft Reparable Program (TARP).9

On 1 October 1965, the 79th moved to Camp Goldberg and was attached to the 14th Transportation Battalion. On 4 November, the 79th became operational for maintenance only and operational for both maintenance and supply on 6 December. By 31 March 1966, the company was supporting 250 aircraft. The Aircraft Supply Section had built up an aviation supply list (ASL) of some 6,000 line items for the direct support of these aircraft. In addition, the company was responsible for providing back-up support for approximately 650 aircraft. During a three and one half month period, Aircraft Supply received 24,000 requisitions. Approximately 150,000 pounds of serviceable components were shipped to supported units and 110,000 pounds of retrograde repairables were shipped to CONUS.10

The 540th Transportation Company (AGS) had arrived in Vietnam on 19 September 1965 and was located at Qui Nhon to provide general support maintenance and aircraft recovery throughout the 14th Battalion's area of responsibility. It represented the battalion reserve for back-up direct support maintenance as well as providing general support activities for approximately 1038 aircraft.11

The 604th Transportation Company (ADS) was organized under the command of 1LT Tom Allen at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky, in August, 1965. Though initially ordered to deploy in December 1965, the company did not deploy until February 1966. In February, 1966, fresh from Christmas leave, the 604th command of MAJ George Cote, flew to Oakland, California where the men boarded the USS Nelson M. Walker and sailed out of San Francisco for Vietnam. After 16 days of sailing, the 604th arrived at Qui Nhon on 6 March. They had been told they were supposed to land at Nha trang but could not because it was under fire. SP4 Herman E. Jaso remembered, “Anyway, we climbed down the side of the ship on those big rope ladders and got into several PT Landing Craft ... fully geared for battle … guide-on flags and the works. I still remember that men were praying, thinking of loved ones and all that stuff. When the Landing Craft finally got to the beach, we watched the front gate of the craft drop and we all poured out into the water and began to run up the beach, hitting the ground thinking we were in for a fight. Then everybody that was on the beach stood up from their lawn chairs and stared at us like we were crazy!12

The 79th Transportation Company became the sponsoring unit for the 604th. A small contingent of men of the 604th then flew to Camp Holloway, at Pleiku, to prepare the company area for the arrival of the main body, which occurred approximately a week later, by convoy up QL19. The 604th became operational on 15 May 1966 and the company provided maintenance and supply support for 293 aircraft and stocks 9,100 lines of aircraft supplies. This caused the number of aircraft supported by the 79th to drop from 300 to 156, decreasing the workload considerably. The 604th assumed responsibility for the northwestern sector of Military Region 2. “Cote’s Angels” were not known for their good behavior.13

Right after the 604th moved to Camp Holloway, the 203rd Signal Detachment was then reassigned from the 219th Aviation Company to the 604th.14

The 58th Transportation Battalion (Aircraft Maintenance and Support) arrived in Vietnam on 11 April 1966 and assumed responsibility for I Corps Tactical Zone reducing the responsibility of the 14th to just II Corps.

The 608th Transportation Company (ADS) had arrived in Vietnam on 23 July 1967. This maintenance and supply company at Dong Ba Thin provided port for 380 aircraft and stocks 10,200 lines of aircraft supplies. The 608th had the largest area of responsibility in the 14th Battalion, extending from the sea westward to the Laotian border throughout the southern portion of Military Region 2.15

The 540th began the Theater Aircraft Repairable Program in 1967. A unit would send unserviceable repairable parts to the 540th, which in turn would repair the item and return it to the supply system rather than the unit. This program was designed to keep serviceable parts in the supply system and easily accessible to any unit.16

The 339th Transportation Company was inactivated on 1 July 1968. Don R. Chrisman survived the helicopter crash that killed W01 Gerald Alan Cahela, SP5 Jack Sizemore, Sr. and PFC Michael White of the 604th on 23 September 1968.

On 1 February 1968, MAJ Lucien R. Garneau assumed command of the 79th Transportation Company. He had been a member of the company when it initially arrived in Vietnam. The 540th was commanded by MAJ Eugene E. Weaver, Jr. in 1968.17

The 614th Light Equipment Maintenance Company (GS) arrived in Vietnam on 1 December 1969 to provide support for avionics, communications, navigational, and flight control equipment in Military Region 2. It supported the 14th Battalion through three platoons were each located with the 79th, 604th and 608th companies.18

The 614th Light Equipment Maintenance Company (GS) arrived in Vietnam on 1 December 1969 to provide support for avionics, communications, navigational, and flight control equipment in Military Region 2. It supported the 14th Battalion through three platoons were each located with the 79th, 604th and 608th companies.18

The 14th Battalion later moved to Tuy Hoa in December 1970 and only supported II Corps Tactical Zone. The Battalion, commanded by LTC Tommy Mansfield, provided direct, backup direct, and general support, maintenance for aircraft, armament, and avionics to aviation units in Military Region 2. With headquarters in Nha Trang, the 14th provided command and control for five companies in 1970:19

  • 79th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) commanded by MAJ Samuel J. Kowal.
  • 540th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) commanded by CPT Frank R. Muse
  • 604th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) commanded by MAJ Arthur A. Williams.
  • 608th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) commanded by Major George H. Fasching
  • 614th Maintenance Company (Aircraft Direct Support) commanded by MAJ Bobby R. Harris

President Richard Nixon had run on the campaign to pull Americans out of Vietnam with honor and began withdrawing units, but failed to achieve this goal during his first term of office. The US Army in Vietnam began to turn more of the war over to the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) and more units began to leave, however, the aviation units were needed to support the ARVN. The 540th Transportation Company (AGS) was inactivated on 30 April 1971 leaving the 14th Battalion with the following companies:

  • 79th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) at Tuy Hoa
  • 604th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) at Pleiku
  • 608th Transportation Company (Aircraft Direct Support) at Dong Ba Thin
  • 614th Maintenance Company (Aircraft Direct Support) at Tuy Hoa

The 614th Maintenance Company was inactivated on 15 January 1972. The 14th Transportation Battalion left Vietnam on 29 April 1972 and was inactivated at Oakland, California, on 30 April 1972 along with the 79th and 608th Transportation Companies. The North Vietnamese and United States signed the Paris Peace Accords on 27 January 1973, thus ending the Vietnam War. The 604th Transportation Company was inactivated on 13 March 1973, one of the last units to leave Vietnam.

Movement Control Battalion

When the Directory, Office of the Chief of Transportation, LTC Robert G. McWard, was looking for an inactive battalion to designate the new transportation battalion about to be activated in Italy, he selected the 14th Transportation Battalion. It had more campaign credits and meritorious unit commendations and foreign awards than any other. His second choice was the 57th Battalion. On 16 October 1988, the 14th Transportation Battalion (Movement Control) was activated at Camp Darby, Vicenza, Italy and answered to the 1st Transportation Area Movement Control Agency (TAMCA).

Constituted in Kaiserslautern, Germany, in 1986, the 1st TAMCA became the theater movement’s manager in the European theater of operations. It provided command and control for both the 14th and 39th Movement Control Battalions and coordination with the 27th Transportation Battalion (MC), the movement control center for V Corps. The 14th Movement Control Battalion monitored transportation in Italy while the 39th Battalion oversaw transportation in Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Germany, except the northern part of Bavaria and Hessen, which were the responsibility of the 27th Battalion. The 14th MCB had two movement control teams (MCT) designated by their locations, Vicenza and Livorno, and an Air Movement Control Team (AMCT) for providing all inland transportation for the Southern European Task Force (SETAF) as well as all theater level movement for all services moving in and out of the Balkans, Southern Europe and North Africa.

The 663rd MCT (USAR) became a 13-man (Area) Movement Control Team at Vicenza, Italy on 16 July 1988 and began drilling in October 1989. The 663rd was initially assigned to the 7th Army Reserve Command, and then attached the 14th Transportation Battalion (MC) for supervision of operations and training on 1 April 1990.

After the signing of the Dayton Peace Accords, the warring factions in Bosnia-Herzegovina agreed to end the fighting. NATO-led forces would deploy into the former Yugoslav republic to implement the peace plan. From 9 December 1995 to 20 January 1997 the 27th Transportation Battalion (MC) provided the initial movement control for NATO Implementation Force (IFOR) peace keeping missions for Operation JOINT ENDEAVOR (OJE). The Battalion maintained positive control and in-transit visibility over all rail, barge, air, bus and military and commercial truck movements throughout Hungary, Croatia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina. During that deployment, the 663rd MCT was activated on 11 December 1995 for 270 days in support of support OJE under the Presidential Selected Reserve Call-up (PSRC). The unit deployed to Aviano, Italy, Tasszar, Hungary, and Slovanski Brod, Croatia. The IFOR mission successfully ended on 20 December 1996, and the 1st Infantry Division remained as part of the Stabilization Force (SFOR) for Operation JOINT GUARD.

The 49th Aviation Brigade (TX NG), commanded by COL John M. Braun, sailed aboard the Saudi Abha from Corpus Christi, Texas to the Port of Rijeka, Croatia in March 2000. The ship carried 259 pieces of cargo including 53 helicopters from the 3rd ACR. The 839th Terminal Battalion and a MCT from the 14th MCB offloaded the ship and prepared it for onward movement. The 49th Aviation Brigade would be augmented by the 3rd ACR from Fort Carson, Colorado.20

The 663rd MCT won the National Defense Transportation Association Unit of the Year 2000 Reserve Components Award.

The January 2001 Kosovo Force (KFOR) rotation of the 101st Airborne Division back to Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and the arrival of the 10th Mountain Division from Fort Drum, New York, marked the first time the incoming and outgoing units had to cross the Atlantic Ocean during their rotations. In addition to the combat environment, the 14th MCB dealt with extra security concerns at the support areas of Budapest, Hungary; Thessaloniki, Greece; Skopje, Macedonia; Sofia and Burgas, Bulgaria; and Grlick and Pristina, Kosovo. In early 2001, the 497th MCT deployed TDY for a couple months to manage the deployment and redeployment in and out of Constanta, Romania for the KFOR rotation. Because the 497th was a robust port MCT, it divided into two teams. One deployed to Kosovo and the other to the port, Constanta, Burgas, Thessaloniki. The 497th returned again in October 2001 to coordinate the next KFOR rotation and left the next month.

The 14th Transportation Battalion, commanded by LTC Dennis Harber, received the Army Chief of Staff’s Deployment Excellence Award for 2002 on 28 August 2002 at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. The battalion won in the active-duty supporting-unit category. The battalion won through a combination of excellence during a deployment to Kosovo and redeployment involving seven international support areas.

Global War on Terror

On 11 September 2001, Al Qaeda terrorists hijacked four airliners and flew two into the Twin Towers in New York City and one into the Pentagon. The passengers struggled to take over the fourth from the terrorist and it crashed in Pennsylvania. The United States had been attacked on its own soil and realized that Bin Laden’s declaration of a war, or fatwa, back in 1996 was real and credible. The United States was at war with radical Islamic terrorism throughout the world.

On 17 September 2002, the named movement control teams of the 14th were redesignated to numbered designation. The Air Movement Control Team (AMCT) at Aviano became the 99th MCT and just coordinated air movements out of Aviano Air Base. MCT-Vicenza became the 386th and 495th MCTs. The 386th MCT supported SETAF and the 173rd Airborne Brigade. The 495th MCT was well understrength to have any responsibilities. MCT-Livorno became the 497th MCT which conducted most of the TDY missions. The 14th MCB then consisted of the following units:

  • 99th MCT (Area) Aviano
  • 386th MCT Vicenza
  • 495th MCT Vicenza
  • 497th MCT (Port) Livorno
  • 663rd MCT (USAR) Vicenza

Operation Iraqi Freedom I

In GEN Tommy Frank’s original invasion plans for Iraq, he wanted to enter from Turkey and kept the equipment of the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized) aboard ships in the Mediterranean waiting for approval of the Turkish Parliament. The entire 14th MCB, minus the Reserve MCT, which would later deploy to Romania, prepared to deploy to Turkey early and was very excited about the mission. Battalion selected one officer and NCO from each MCT and MAJ Blanco, S3, as the Advance Party and then sent them to Incirlik, Turkey in January 2003. 1LT Brian Patnode and SSG Nuako, of the 497th MCT, linked up with MAJ Craig Jorgenson, of the 10th Transportation Battalion out of Fort Eustis, and a USAR colonel from SDDC in Florida to coordinate for use of the ports, drayage, and truck contracts. They rode a bus in civilian clothes to the Port of Tasucu, then Mersin, and ended up at Iskenderun. Iskenderun would be the main port of entry for the 4th ID (M), they would bring ammunition and Marines in through Tasucu, and Mersin would be for overflow cargo. They met with the Turkish Admiral or administrator to work out deals for receiving American units. The Turks were very supportive but knew they were going to get paid well and squeezed every dollar they could out of each contract. The administrators at the port of Mersin wanted five dollars every time they moved a container. Instead, Patnode leased half the port, because it was cheaper, but they never used the port.21

Two weeks after the ADVON arrived; LTC Harber brought the main body of the 14th MCB to Turkey in support of the Northern Option. The 99th MCT set up at the Incirlik Air Base, the 497th MCT deployed to Iskenderun, and the 386th moved east in Diyarbikar and Batman, the jump off point for the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized). The first ship arrived at Iskenderun and the 14th MCB sent down Soldiers to the port, so they could drive the equipment off the ship. The plan called for the deployment of over 80,000 troops through Turkey. The Turkish Parliament debated over giving permission for the Americans to invade their neighbor through their country, voted twice and ultimately denied the Americans permission. So the 14th MCB remained in Turkey for three months moving supplies eastward for what they thought was no reason, but what had been the plan for an attack from northern Iraq turned into a diversion to hold Iraq divisions in the north.22

The V Corps crossed the Kuwaiti border on 20 March 2003 and Baghdad fell in April. The 14th MCB was pulled out of Turkey in May. Since he had already worked in Romania, 1LT Patnode led a team of seven Soldiers form the 497th MCT to Romania to relieve the 663rd MCT (USAR). They coordinated air flowing into Iraq and retrograde ammunition coming back to Italy. The Ottawa Treaty made this difficult. Since claymores were considered land mines, they could not travel by rail, but had to fly by C-130s. The Romanians did nearly everything with official stamps. Patnode could not get the first train to move without an official stamp and since it was Saturday, no one was working back in Germany or Italy; so he improvised and used his 302 customs stamp. The Romanians complained it was too big for a stamp but accepted it anyway. As that mission ended, the 497th returned to Italy to train up for a rotation to Iraq.23

Task Force Liberia

The most recent flare up of the civil war in Liberia inspired the war tribunal special court for Sierra Leon to secretly charge President Charles Taylor with crimes against humanity in March 2003. Consequently, US European Command (EUCOM) began monitoring the deteriorating situation and deployed a survey and assessment team, and a Navy SEAL platoon to Monrovia, the capital. On 6 May 2003, the UN Security Council decided to embargo Liberian “round logs and timber products.” As rebels closed in on Monrovia from two fronts in June, Charles Taylor's government forces prepared to defend the capital. Desperate for security and food, thousands of Liberian civilians fled to refugee camps on the borders creating a public outcry for assistance.24

On 6 July, EUCOM then deployed a humanitarian assistance survey team to determine the extent of the crisis and need for US military assistance and also a Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team (FAST) to bolster security in the embassy in Monrovia. On 17 July, the US Army Southern European Task Force (SETAF) (Airborne), commanded by MG Thomas R. Turner, received warning orders from EUCOM and US Army Europe to organize a joint task force (JTF) by 25 July. Navy's three-ship Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group provided the platform for the embarkation of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), which provided the ground combat force. EUCOM also prepositioned the 398th Air Expeditionary Group, based in Iceland, in Freetown, Sierra Leone, and Dakar, Senegal for a possible air evacuation of US citizens. Teams from the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) deployed to eight Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) countries between 23 July and 11 September to conduct baseline assessments of forces slated for peacekeeping duty in Liberia. The 21st Theater Support Command received an on-call mission to provide logistical support in the event a commercial firm the US Department of State contracted to provide support could not fulfill its commitments. The 14th MCB then organized its headquarters to support JTF LIBERIA. The JTF officially stood up on 25 July and the Iwo Jima arrived off the coast of Liberia on 29 July.25

On 1 August 2003, the UN Security Council resolved to send a multinational force to Liberia, followed by a United Nations stabilization force. On 4 August, the JTF commander and a 45-member staff completed deployment to establish a JTF forward headquarters aboard the Iwo Jima, located 20 nautical miles off the coast of Monrovia. At noon on 11 August, Taylor resigned as the president of Liberia and went into exile in Nigeria. On 14 August, the first battalion of Nigerian troops air landed into Monrovia as well as a US Marine quick reaction force to stem the advance of rebel forces. On 18 August, President Bush announced that all US forces would be out of Liberia by 1 October. Although it had not deployed, the 14th MCB headquarters had transformed from an Army MCB to a JTF joint movement control center in order to support SETAF from late July through September. 26

Operation Iraqi Freedom II

During OIF II, three MCTs of the 14th MCB deployed to Iraq for the second rotation. The 497th deployed to Mosul and the 386th MCT ran the passenger terminal at Baghdad International Airport. The 99th did deployed to Speicher in late 2004.

The 386th MCT stationed at Baghdad International Airport (BIAP) had the mission to track the flow of all personnel who came in and out of the military side of the airport. The 386th MCT returned to Italy from Iraq in February 2005.

The 101st Airborne Division had established border operations at the Ibrahim Khalil facility during OIF 1. In February 2004, Task Force OLYMPIA replaced the 101st and assumed control of Multi-national Division North. The 167th Corps Support Group (CSG) (USAR NH) arrived at FOB Speicher in March. Task Force OLYMPIA commander then provided an officer in charge (OIC) at Ibrahim Khalil and the 13th COSCOM commander had responsibility for movement control operations.

The 497th MCT, commanded by CPT Richard Hellig arrived at Mosul in January 2004 where it replaced two movement control teams and an US Air Force TALC. In March, CPT Brian Patnode, of the 497th MCT at Mosul, received a call from MNCI rail ops in Baghdad. Around 400 living containers had arrived from Turkey and became stranded at FOB Marez with the ultimate destination to the Marines out west. They could not get the 200 trucks needed to move them, so Patnode suggested to BG Carter Hamm, commander of Multi-national Division-North, indirectly by email that they could move them by rail. Most officers had little confidence they could move it by rail, but Patnode knew the 101st Airborne Division had moved equipment by rail the year before. BG Hamm gave the green light.27

They could not move a RTCH or any other MHE down to the rail yard in Mosul and in addition, the security required for the rail yard would have been extensive, so Patnode spoke with his commander, who gave permission to meet with the Iraqi manager downtown. Luckily the main rail line traversed directly between Marez and Diamondback. Patnode needed to convince the local rail manager to bring the trains to Marez and block rail traffic for a few hours while they loaded. The manager who spoke English was very supportive. To load the containers, the Army had to actually build a rail head. Patnode had to beg and borrow to get units to level the ground. Army Engineers stationed at Marez then flatten out a 200-meter wide ground between Diamondback and Marez, adjacent to the main rail line. They could then divide the train and load the living containers in two different areas. Patnode contracted KBR to build the other ramp, which they charged around $2K. KBR handled one side while Soldiers from the 44th CSB, out of Fort Lewis, loaded at the other side. Working in close proximity to the FOB gave a sense of security. Ultimately they were able to ship all of the containers, minus the ones on the two trains that were attacked in route. The remainder of the tour was routine except for the regular mortar attacks on the camps.28

When Task Force OLYMPIA moved its rear area operations center from the facility at Ibrahim Khalil on the Turkish border and reassigned the lieutenant colonel they had in charge, this left a void in the senior leadership on the ground. So the 13th COSCOM assume responsibility for the OIC function. BG James Chambers, Commander of 13th Corps Support Command (COSCOM), wanted “eyes on the ground” up on the Turkish border; so in September 2004, the 13th COSCOM issued a fragmentary order tasking the 167th CSG to monitor the supplies shipped from supply centers in northern Turkey to coalition forces in Iraq. The 167th CSG deployed to the Ibrahim Khalil Customs Facility near Zakho, Iraq, at the Habur River border between Turkey and Iraq. The crossing on the Turkish side is known as Habur Gate.29

The responsibility for providing movement control of more than 200 trucks destined for coalition forces each day was shared between the 99th Movement Control Team (MCT) and a Kellogg, Brown, and Root (KBR) MCT. As part of the Logistics Capability (LOGCAP), KBR was assuming an increasing role in movement control. The 99th MCT consisted of 12 Active Army Soldiers, and the KBR team consisted of 6 “expats” (expatriates) and around 16 Iraqi employees. Once the south-bound convoys passed through the Iraqi border inspections, the two MCTs staged the trucks. 30

The coalition trucks were divided into three categories. The first category included trucks carrying sustainment fuel. The second included trucks loaded with sustainment cargo that would be delivered to coalition locations on the original trucks from Turkey. The third category included trucks that came across the border carrying sustainment cargo that would be offloaded at one of the 17 Turkish trucking company yards in nearby Zakho where Iraqi trucks would deliver the loads to their final destinations.31

Many Turkish truck drivers were reluctant to make the trip to the cargo’s final destination because they were concerned about their safety and felt they were not getting paid enough to drive the long, rough route to its end. The rigorous inspection by the Turks delayed returning convoys at the border for days. Incentives such as increased pay or transit stamps, which allowed them to return immediately to Turkey rather than wait up to 14 days, still did not persuade many of the Turkish drivers to drive farther south than Zakho. This led many Iraqi entrepreneurs to form their own trucking companies creating a three-loop transportation system. The 99th MCT had overall responsibility for manifesting and staging the coalition trucks for movement from Ibrahim Khalil to LSA Diamondback in Mosul. The run from LSA Diamondback to FOB Speicher was the second loop and the movement from FOB Speicher to LSA Anaconda was the third loop.32

Sustainment fuel trucks staged within a guarded, fenced area at the customs facility. Turkish trucks carrying other sustainment cargo to the final destination staged in one of the 17 trucking company yards in Zakho after passing through the customs facility. When the Turkish trucking companies arranged for local Iraqi trucks to deliver the cargo farther south, that cargo was transloaded to Iraqi trucks and the trucks were staged in a mud-filled area outside the customs facility, known as the “Cowboy Yard,” to await staging in a US convoy to Tikrit, Balad, or Fallujah.33

Each convoy could be a combination of the three basic categories or 100 percent of one type. Based on priorities set by the 13th COSCOM, the 99th MCT commander decided what went in each convoy. The MCT commander met with the convoy commanders after dinner each night to go over the makeup of the night convoys and provide them the latest intelligence update. The number of sustainment trucks that could be escorted depended solely on the number of gun trucks brought up the previous night. The convoy commander escorted the third Country Nationals (TCN) approximately 100 miles to LSA Diamondback. For the most part, the trip was safe because 80 percent of the route was above the “green line” in northern Iraq. The southern 20 percent, which included the streets of Mosul, posed an increaing threat by insurgents. At LSA Diamondback, the sustainment trucks would be restaged for movement to FOB Speicher and assigned a different escort crew for the trip to LSA Anaconda.34

Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan 2005

In March 2005, the Vicenza, Italy-based Southern European Task Force (SETAF) transitioned from a peacetime Army organization to one that would command joint combat operations in Afghanistan. The 14th MCB, commanded by LTC Charles R. Brown, would deploy along with SETAF to Afghanistan for a year, requiring simultaneous operations in both Afghanistan and Southern Europe. Drawing from the battalion’s experiences during the Liberia crisis, the staff restructured the battalion headquarters which consisted of five personnel actions.

LTC Brown designated a major to fill both the positions of interim SETAF joint transportation officer (JTO) for a 90-day period in support of CJTF-76 deployment preparations and also rear detachment commander, and then sent him to the five-day, USAREUR-sponsored Rear Detachment Commanders Course at Vilseck, Germany. Doing both jobs limited the operational capability of the MCB headquarters during the 90 days, but it had a positive effect on the overall CJTF 76 deployment. The JTO’s most notable accomplishments were:

  • Served as the 21st TSC lead for CJTF 76 deployment.
  • Postured SETAF for successful deployment.
  • Ensured that the JTO was fully manned, operational, and functioning.
  • Published USAREUR’s Southern Region plan for deployment to Afghanistan.36

Soon after the 14th MCB received its deployment notification, LTC Brown decided to expand the GS–12 traffic manager’s job description to include the battalion S–2/3 functions, since the major was deploying. To fill the vacancies left by the deployed Soldiers, the Battalion also hired nine DA Civilian positions and two local national employee positions for one to four-year appointments and had to retrain four personnel. The 14th MCB then established a comprehensive professional development program to train and integrate the stay-behind personnel and new hires to perform the duties and ensure a seamless transition with the people they would be replacing. However, hiring was restricted by both the availability of quality applicants, especially in an overseas setting, and the complexity of the civilian employee hiring systems.37

The 14th MCB also integrated up to five Soldiers from the 663rd MCT (USAR) into the S–2/3 operations section for up to six months during critical periods, which proved vital to the battalion’s overall success. On-the-job training with Active component soldiers ensured continuity and mission accomplishment.38

The 14th MCB deployed to Afghanistan and replaced the 39th MCB out of Germany in March 2005. The 14th MCB was stationed at Bagram with its 663rd MCT (USAR); the 1st Cargo Transfer Company (CTC) set up at Kandahar; and the 606th MCT, from Mannheim, Germany, went to FOB Salerno. Jalabad, and K2. It had another CTC from Fort Hood, Texas at K2. Since there was no Air Force team at the Salerno, the MCTs ran the airfield. KBR only had contract workers in the MCTs at Bagram and Kandahar. The 14th had the rotary wing, fixed wing and contract truck missions (Jingle Truck) and the dreaded container management mission. For the first time since American Forces entered the country, the 14th was able to start to reduce the number of containers. They inherited over 19,000 containers and with the help of the “warfighters” the 14th MCB finally started shipping them out of country.39

LTC David Touzinsky had been assigned to USTRANSCOM at Scott AFB, Illinois for a year when he came out on the command list in June 2005. He had told his wife that they would be assigned there for three years according to the Goldwater-Nichols Act. In July, his branch manager called to inform him that the current commander of the 14th MCB had hurt his back lifting weights and had to give up command 49 days into its deployment to Afghanistan. If Touzinsky could not get released to take this command, then he would have to drop down to the alternate list. A waiver was signed by the TRANSCOM Commander and he took command of the 14th MCB in theater. After CJTF76 opened up a number of FOBs, the 14th MCB built another MCT out of hide to operate at FOB Jalalabad. After an earthquake hit Pakistan on 8 October 2005, the 14th MCB had to form another ad hoc MCT to deploy to that country for six weeks to coordinate the transportation of aid. For the next deployment, LTC Trousinski would maintain an MCT capability inside his S3.40

In November 2005, K2 which closed down. Touzinsky also pulled four people out of his TOC to form an MCT to visit the nodes to coordinate rotations. The 330th Movement Control Center out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina replaced the 14th MCB and the 14th redeployed back to Italy on 24 March 2006.41

Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07

The 495th MCT deployed to Speicher, Iraq from October 2005 to September 2006. The MCT is home based at Vicenza, Italy under the 14th MCB. In Iraq, the MCT coordinated ground and air transportation. It also had an USAF ATOC to coordinate the air transportation. Traditionally the MCT provides liaison between the customer and the US Air Force. They prepared the paperwork and helped the units palletize cargo to Air Force standards. Speicher had also opened up a commercial airport so the MCT dealt with commercial air.

In 2006, the 14th MCB consisted of the following units:

  • 495th MCT
  • 497th MCT –Livorno (Port)
  • 386th MCT
  • 99th MCT (Area) Aviano
  • Branch MCT Livorno
  • 663rd MCT (USAR) Vicenza
  • 793rd MCT (USAR) Kaiserslautern, Germany

Operation Iraqi Freedom 07-09

The 1st Theater Sustainment Command (TSC), commanded by MG Kevin A. Leonard, replaced the 377th TSC a few weeks before the 640th Sustainment Brigade (SB) arrived. The 377th placed the 39th Movement Control Battalion under the 336th Transportation Group. Because the 336th Group was the single transportation mode operator, the TSC felt there was no conflict of interest and need for an honest broker of transportation management. Not only that, but responsibility for the Asset Allocation Board had been under the control of the transportation group since the second year of the war. Having the MCB work for the transportation group rather than directly for the TSC gave the battalion an O6 oversight rather than take every chain of command issue to the commanding general.

The 14th MCB arrived in Kuwait on 19 June 2007 and completed its transfer of authority (TOA) with the 39th MCB on 2 July. This was the same 39th MCB that the 14th had replaced in Afghnaistan. LTC David Touzinsky had the privilege of commanded the same battalion during two deployments in the current war. Under his command, the movement control battalion would regain the authority it had had during the first year of the war in Iraq. As soon as the 14tth MCB completed the TOA, COL Lawrence Morelend, the Chief of Mobility for the 1st TSC, recommended to the Deputy Commander of the 1st TSC, BG Louis Visot, to pull the MCB from under the Sustainment Brigade and place it under the control of the 1st TSC. COL Moreland had been in movement control before at Fort Bragg and also recommended moving the Asset Allocation Board under the MCB. BG Louis Visot had also commanded the 32nd Transportation Group during OIF I when the Asset Allocation Board belonged to the movement control battalion and agreed on both accounts. The 14th MCB then reported directly to the 1st TSC which returned control of the Asset Allocation Board to the MCB.42

The 14th MCB provided control of 10 MCTs in Kuwait. Most were KBR run MCTs. One combat arms company provided security force for the buses traveling between KCIA and Ali Al Salem.

  • MCT ran the check point at K-Crossing.
  • MCT at Arifjan supervised the bus contract and Heavy Lift VI contract.
  • Det 1, 586th MCT (USAF) supervised the in and out-processing contract at Ali Al Salem.
  • Det 2, 586th MCT (USAF) supervised the KBR contract at KCIA and KNB.

The USAF provided in lieu of forces to conduct the MCT mission for six-month rotations. The Airmen skill identifier for this mission was Transportation Management Office (TMO), however it had nothing related the contract management which they were doing. They took the unit designation of the Army unit they replaced, 586th MCT, however, their admin support coincidently comes from the 586th Expeditionary Logistic Readiness Squadron (ELRS).

In 2008, the 14th MCB consisted of the following units in Italy:

  • 495th MCT
  • 497th MCT–Livorno (Port)
  • 386th MCT
  • 99th MCT Aviano (Area)
  • 3rd Platoon, 68th MCT

Operation Enduring Freedom – Afghanistan 2008-09

The 495th MCT, commanded by CPT Ji Ahn, arrived in Afghanistan around 18 January 2008 and arrived at FOB Salerno in 20 January. Ahn had started as the Assistant S3 for four months then moved down to the 495th MCT and served with it when it deployed to Iraq in October 2005. The USAF ATOC at Salerno left without a replacement so the 495th MCT had to replace it. Since the MCT had no ATOC to work with, the Army movement control specialists worked with the USAF GATES system. This was the Air Force system that tracked cargo from the point of origin to the final destination.

The 495th MCT was divided into Air and Surface Operations. Air Operations was divided into ATOC, cargo and passenger cells. They built cargo pallets and manifest passengers. The Surface Operations was divided into host nation trucking and Reception, Staging, Onward Movement and Integration (RSOI) yard. The 495th MCT was the only one with six host nation carriers, “jingle trucks.” The 53rd MCB coordinated all the other host nation carriers. This cell dealt with Host Nation contracts. The 495th had enough Soldiers to do this mission without augmentation but needed the ATOC in order to send liaison offices (LNO) of two to three Soldiers out to the smaller FOBs. An ATOC arrived at the end of March and remained for six months. This freed up movement control specialists (88N) for LNOs.

This MCT had one local carrier and five in Kabul for host nation trucking and contacted them by cell phone. Pilferage was the biggest problem with host nation trucks and TF Fury (4th BCT, 82nd Airborne Division) had lost $4.2M due to pilferage. There had been several attempts to counter pilferage, docking pay, reducing missions or cutting contracts, but pilferage continued.

Restructuring of US Army Europe

The 2005 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) decision significantly drew down the number of forces in Europe. The last brigade of the 1st Infantry Division was inactivated in Germany and reactivated at Fort Riley, Kansas in 2008; the 2nd Brigade of the 1st Armored Division similarly inactivated in Germany and reactivated at Fort Hood in 2009 leaving only the headquarters of the 1st Armored Division, 173rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment and 12th Combat Aviation Brigade in Europe. As part of the new defense strategy, the Department of Defense would withdraw the two brigade combat teams and replace them with rotating units. This also included inactivating the V Corps on 21 June 2013. This led to a reorganization and restructuring of the sustainment organization in Europe.

Consequently, the 14th Movement Control Battalion was inactivated in Vicenza, Italy in 2012 and the 414th Contracting Support Brigade was activated in its place at Vicenza to support US Army Africa. The remaining 99th and 386th Movement Control Teams answered directly to the 21st Theater Sustainment Command. The 99th MCT was inactivated in 2013 and the 386th MCT was attached to the 39th Movement Control Battalion at Baumholder, Gemany.


World War II: Normandy; Northern France; Rhineland Korean War: UN Defensive; UN Offensive; CCF Intervention; First UN Counteroffensive; CCF Spring Offensive; UN Summer-Fall Offensive; Second Korean Winter; Korea, Summer-Fall 1952; Third Korean Winter; Korea, Summer 1953 Vietnam: Defense; Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive, Phase II; Counteroffensive, Phase III; Tet Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive, Phase IV; Counteroffensive, Phase V; Counteroffensive, Phase VI; Tet 69/Counteroffensive; Summer-Fall 1969; Winter-Spring 1970; Sanctuary Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive, Phase VII; Consolidation I; Consolidation II; Cease-Fire

  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for KOREA
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for VIETNAM 1965-1966
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for VIETNAM 1966-1967
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for VIETNAM 1967-1968
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for VIETNAM 1968-1970
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for VIETNAM 1971-1972
  • Army Superior Unit Award for 1990-1991
  • Army Chief of Staff’s Deployment Excellence Award for 2002
  • French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II for NORMANDY
  • Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action at ANTWERP
  • Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation for KOREA 1950-1952
  • Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation for KOREA 1952-1953
  • Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm for VIETNAM 1970-1972
  • Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class for VIETNAM 1971


1 Office of Chief of Transportation, US Army Transportation in the European Theater of Operations, 1942-1945, June 1946

2 Historical Section, Office of Chief of Transportation, European Theater of Operations, “Historical Report of the Transportation Corps on the European Theater of Operations, Volume V, October-November-December 1944,” n.d.

3 The 8th Student Company was attached to the 461st Transportation Company to provide training on the DUKWs.

4 The 606th Transportation Company (TAT) was redesignated the 155th Transportation Company (Terminal Service) on 14 November 1955.

5 “14th Transportation Battalion ‘Reliables,’” AVIAN 34, October 1970, Vol. II, Number 3.

6 Mike Edwards, “339th Transportation Company (DS),”

7 14th Transportation Battalion Yearbook, 1968,

8 14th Transportation Battalion Yearbook, 1968.

9 “14th Transportation Battalion ‘Reliables,’” AVIAN 34, October 1970, Vol. II, Number 3.

10 14th Transportation Battalion Yearbook, 1968.

11 “14th Transportation Battalion ‘Reliables,’” AVIAN 34.

12 SP4 Herman E. Jaso, “604th Came Ashore at Qui Nhon like D-Day,” 14th Trans Bn VN web page.

13 Jaso, “604th Came Ashore at Qui Nhon like D-Day;” Raymond O’Hearn, “Cote’s Angels!” 14th Trans Bn VN web page; and 14th Transportation Battalion Yearbook, 1968.

14 SP5 Walter “Lou” Costello, “Trigger Happy,”

15 “14th Transportation Battalion ‘Reliables,’” AVIAN 34.

16 14th Transportation Battalion Yearbook, 1968.

17 14th Transportation Battalion Yearbook, 1968.

18 “14th Transportation Battalion ‘Reliables,’” AVIAN 34.

19 “14th Transportation Battalion ‘Reliables,’” AVIAN 34.

20 1LT Sean Linehan, “Teamwork starting point for 49th Aviation Brigade,” SFOR Informer Online, March 29, 2000,

21 Brian Patnode email to Richard Killblane, September 16, 2008; LTC Craig Hymes interview by Richard Killblane, 15 June 2004.

22 Patnode email, September 16, 2008.

23 Patnode email, September 16, 2008.

24 Blair, E. Ross, Jr., “The U.S. joint task force experience in Liberia,” BNET Business Network,; and History of Liberia, Wikepedia,

25 Ross, “Liberia.”

26 Ross, “Liberia;” and LTC Charles R. Brown, “Restructuring for Simultaneous Movement Control Operations,” Army Logistician, Sep-Oct 2005.

27 Brian Patnode email to Richard Killblane, June 30, 2006.

28 Patnode email, June 30, 2006.

29 LTC William R. Shea, Jr., and COL Andrew M. Barclay, “Corps Support Group logistics at the Iraq border,” Army Logistician, May-Jun 2006.

30 Shea and Barclay, “Corps Support Group.”

31 Shea and Barclay, “Corps Support Group.”

32 Shea and Barclay, “Corps Support Group.”

33 Shea and Barclay, “Corps Support Group.”

34 Shea and Barclay, “Corps Support Group.”

35 LTC Charles R. Brown, “Restructuring for simultaneous movement control operations,” Army Logistician, Sep-Oct 2005.

36 Brown, “Restructuring.”

37 Brown, “Restructuring.”

38 Brown, “Restructuring.”

39 LTC David Touzinsky email to Richard Killblane, September 22, 2008.

40 LTC David Touzinsky interview by Richard Killblane in Kuwait, 22 February 2008.

41 Touzinsky interview, 22 February 2008; and email, September 22, 2008.

42 Touzinsky interview, 22 February 2008; and COL Lawrence Moreland interview by Richard Killblane in Kuwait, 25 February 2008.